Saturday, June 13, 2009

What's that noise, Daddy?

That's what the girls used to ask me on the way to school when the brakes on our Cristiania cargo/passenger trike would squeal. Now, it's been going on so long that the question has become "Daddy, why haven't you had the brakes fixed yet?"

Well, girls, today's the day. I have an appointment at Ace Wheelworks in Cambridge. I've been nervous about doing this because the trike is a bit unusual, and I don't want anyone mucking it up.

But after 3+ yrs, I guess it's time to have some work done. The real problem is indeed the brakes - the no-brand discs in front aren't really that powerful, and I think I've pretty much ground the coaster brake in the back down to a nub. Is that even possible? I haven't the foggiest what goes on in there.

In any case, in addition to the brakes, I imagine I might need a new chain, and the big pivot underneath the box surely needs a bit of lube.

One way or the other, I need it back today because I'm giving rides to the toddlers at Elsie's birthday party tomorrow!

3 comments:

Aaron... said...

Hey you will have to let me know how the brakes go! Mine is getting done in a few weeks when the parts arrive.

Andrew said...

They're working great! My new Avid BB7's were a bit disappointing out of the gate, but they're much improved after a bit of riding! Hearily recommended.

Aaron... said...

Fantastic! I'm also looking forward to the easy adjustments on the BB7s. Also don't know if I mentioned to you but my bike guy sourced a brake handle that has two cables running directly into it - ie one to each brake so no need for any splitter. Will let you know how it goes.