Sunday, December 31, 2006

First Boston outing on Thorny

Today, New Year's Eve, I took my Thorn Raven out on its first ride in Boston. I've already done some riding since the move in Vermont, but this is the first real chance I've had to hit the streets here. The original plan was to ride the whole of the Minute Man trail, but yesterday's snow has left many treacherous icy spots that are best avoided - especially while I have my Hi Road tires on.

The weather today was nice - sunny and mid-40s. On the way, I went to Quad Cycles in Arlington Heights, which I'd never been tremendously impressed with previously. But this time, the chappie who helped me was very friendly and, well, helpful! He even remarked at my Brooks saddle and pointed out my Speedhub to a colleague. He also asked about my Tubus rack and the mountain hardware for Gem's seat. Best of all, he adjusted my headset and filled the tires at no cost! This bepierced part-timer has almost completely redeemed the shop for me!

The ride was also very nice. I rode up Mass Ave and puttered around Lexington, Bedford, to Hanscom AFB before heading home. It would have been miserable on most other days, but, being a holiday and a Sunday, there was no traffic to speak of. I thought I'd recognize my old routes out, but no luck. I did buy a nice map from Quad, though, which should help with future rides.

No comments: