Monday, May 22, 2006

Rainy monday

Just approaching 0900, and the sun is shining. An hour ago when I biked Gemma to nursery, it was a different story - light rain and dark skies. But that's English weather for you, I guess.

But for some reason, what is usually a relaxed and uneventful 20-minute ride today was one close call after another (all really just petty annoyances, but probably enough to rattle a less confident rider with or without a little passenger). The 4x4 Porsche overtaking and blocking the access lane to the ASL on Boundary Rd was a small thing. But the cyclist who rocketed past leaving no room for error between us and the queue of cars as we aproached Regents Park might easily have turned bad for any of us. (Carradice saddle bags & 1970s gym shorts and bike of similar vintage - sound familiar to anyone?)

Then there was the HGV on th Outer Circle that came too close and sprayed us with filthy water... And a few other incidents like these.

Sure, nothing that we as cycle commuters don't see every day in London. But today, it just seems that there was more of it than usual.

Which leads me to my question: Anyone notice this today, or is it just me? Is it because of the weather, or because it's Monday - or a combination? Or maybe I'm just hyper-aware on potentially treacherous days...

Andrew

1 comment:

Milo said...

Motorists tend to consciously ignore cyclists as legal traffic. I'm reminded of an old Calvin and Hobbes strip:

C: Hey dad, I need a slogan for a safety-day poster.

D: Sure! CYCLISTS HAVE A RIGHT TO THE ROAD TOO, YOU LAZY, HOMICIDAL, INCOSIDERATE MORON! I HOPE THE PRICE OF GAS GOES UP TO EIGHT BUCKS A GALLON!

Believe me, I feel your pain.